This slow cooker beef stew recipe is a classic dish that is perfect for winter nights or any time you need a comforting and filling meal. With tender chunks of beef, hearty vegetables, and a flavorful broth, this stew is sure to satisfy everyone's taste buds. The best part is that it can be made ahead of time in a slow cooker, allowing the flavors to meld together for an even tastier dish. Serve this delicious beef stew with some crusty bread or mashed potatoes for a complete and satisfying meal.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and black pepper. Add the beef stew meat and toss until evenly coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the coated beef stew meat and cook until browned on all sides. Transfer the meat to a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the cooked onion and garlic to the slow cooker, along with the carrots, potatoes, celery, beef broth, red wine (if using), tomato paste, dried thyme, and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours, until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving. Serve the slow cooker beef stew hot with crusty bread or mashed potatoes.
Slow cooking the beef stew allows the flavors to develop and the meat to become tender and juicy.
Using red wine in the stew adds depth and richness to the overall flavor.
Leftovers of this beef stew make a great lunch option the next day.