This homemade sweet zucchini relish is a perfect condiment to accompany any summer meal. Made with fresh zucchini, onions, bell peppers, and a combination of sweet and tangy spices, this relish is bursting with flavor. It's incredibly easy to make and can be enjoyed on hot dogs, sandwiches, burgers, or as a topping for grilled meats. Prepare a batch of this relish during zucchini season and enjoy the taste of summer all year long.
- 8 cups grated zucchini
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers (red and green)
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, combine the grated zucchini, chopped onions, and bell peppers. Sprinkle the pickling salt over the vegetables and mix well. Let it sit for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, drain the vegetables well and rinse them under cold water to remove excess salt. Squeeze out any excess moisture using a clean kitchen towel.
- In a large pot, combine the sugar, apple cider vinegar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, turmeric, and ground cloves. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the drained vegetables to the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have melded together.
- While the relish is cooking, prepare canning jars by sterilizing them in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove the jars from the water and let them air dry.
- Carefully ladle the hot relish into the sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch of headspace. Wipe the rims of the jars clean and place the lids on top. Tighten the bands until they are just finger-tight.
- Process the jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes to ensure proper preservation. Remove the jars from the canner and let them cool on a towel-lined countertop. Store in a cool, dark place for up to a year.
- Once opened, refrigerate the relish and use it within a month.