Indulge in the exquisite flavors of Mediterranean cuisine with this authentic dolmas stuffed grape leaves recipe. These delicious and flavorful bites make for a perfect appetizer or a light meal. The grape leaves are filled with a savory mixture of rice, ground beef, and aromatic herbs and spices. They are then gently cooked until tender and served with a refreshing yogurt sauce. Get ready to impress your guests with this traditional Mediterranean dish!
- 1 jar grape leaves
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Drain and rinse the grape leaves under cold water to remove any brine. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice, ground beef, chopped onion, minced garlic, parsley, mint, dill, cumin, coriander, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Take one grape leaf at a time and place it flat on a clean surface, vein side up. Place a tablespoon of the rice mixture in the center of the leaf, near the stem. Fold the sides of the leaf over the filling and roll it tightly, like a burrito. Repeat this process with the remaining grape leaves and filling.
- In a large pot, arrange the dolmas in a single layer, seam side down. Pour water over the dolmas until they are completely covered. Place a heatproof plate on top of the dolmas to prevent them from unraveling during cooking.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let the dolmas simmer gently for about 45 minutes or until the rice is cooked and tender. Remove from heat and allow them to cool slightly.
- While the dolmas are cooling, prepare the yogurt sauce by combining Greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, and salt in a small bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Serve the dolmas warm or at room temperature with the yogurt sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Dolmas are a popular dish in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines.
Grape leaves are often preserved in brine to maintain their freshness.
Dolmas can be made with various fillings, including vegetarian options with rice and vegetables.
The word 'dolma' means 'stuffed' in Turkish.