These savory and sweet rhubarb wontons make for a unique and tasty treat. With a crispy wonton wrapper and a filling of tangy rhubarb and cream cheese, these wontons are a perfect balance of flavors. They are simple to make and can be enjoyed as an appetizer or dessert.
- 1 cup rhubarb, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 20 wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rhubarb and sugar. Cook over medium heat until the rhubarb has softened and the sugar has dissolved, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Fold in the cooled rhubarb mixture.
- Place a spoonful of the rhubarb-cream cheese filling in the center of a wonton wrapper. Wet the edges of the wrapper with water and fold it in half to form a triangle. Press the edges to seal.
- In a deep skillet or pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Fry the wontons in batches until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Optional: Dust the fried wontons with powdered sugar before serving for a touch of sweetness.
- Serve the rhubarb wontons warm as an appetizer or dessert.