This Inside-Out Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich is a classic comfort food with a twist. The sandwich is loaded with layers of ham, cheese, and a flavorful spread, all grilled to perfection. The genius of this recipe lies in the technique of grilling the sandwich inside-out, creating a crispy exterior and a melty, gooey interior. It's a simple yet impressive dish that will leave you craving for more. Perfect for lunch, dinner, or a quick snack!
- 8 slices of bread (white, wheat, or your choice)
- 8 slices of ham
- 8 slices of cheese (cheddar, American, Swiss, or your choice)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and Dijon mustard to make the spread.
- Spread the mayonnaise and mustard mixture onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Layer a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on top of the spread on four slices of bread.
- Place the remaining four slices of bread on top to form sandwiches with the spread on the inside.
- Spread butter on the outsides of the sandwiches.
- Preheat a skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Place the sandwiches in the skillet or griddle and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and let the sandwiches cool for a minute.
- Slice the sandwiches diagonally and serve hot.