Enjoy the taste of homemade fried apple pies with this easy-to-follow recipe. These delightful treats are made with a flaky crust and a sweet apple filling. Perfect for dessert or a snack, these fried apple pies are sure to impress your family and friends. The recipe includes step-by-step instructions and interesting facts about the origin of apple pies.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 medium-sized apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Oil for frying
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in the chilled butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the cold water, a tablespoon at a time, mixing with a fork until the dough comes together.
- Gather the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the apple filling. In a saucepan, combine the chopped apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the apples are tender. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled dough to about 1/8-inch thickness. Using a round cutter or a glass, cut out circles of dough, approximately 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Place a tablespoon of the apple filling in the center of each dough circle. Moisten the edges with water and fold the dough over the filling, pressing the edges firmly to seal.
- In a deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Carefully place a few pies into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining pies.
- Dust the fried apple pies with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Apple pies have been a traditional American dessert since the early 18th century.
The first recorded apple pie recipe was written by Geoffrey Chaucer in 1381.
Fried apple pies are a popular Southern variation of the classic apple pie.
Apple pies are commonly served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious combination of flavors.