This recipe combines the flavors of Indian cuisine and the concept of tacos to create a unique and delicious dish. The Indian Tacos Deluxe features a crispy frybread base topped with a flavorful mixture of Indian spiced ground meat, traditional taco toppings, and a tangy cilantro sauce. It's a perfect meal for Taco Tuesday or any other occasion when you want to add some excitement to your dinner table. Get ready to enjoy a fusion of flavors like never before!
- For the Frybread:
- - 2 cups all-purpose flour
- - 1 tablespoon baking powder
- - 1 teaspoon salt
- - 1 cup warm water
- - Vegetable oil (for frying)
- For the Indian Spiced Meat:
- - 1 pound ground beef or chicken
- - 1 small onion, diced
- - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- - 1 tablespoon curry powder
- - 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- - 1 teaspoon paprika
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Cilantro Sauce:
- - 1 cup plain yogurt
- - 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- - 1 tablespoon lime juice
- - Salt to taste
- For the Toppings:
- - Shredded lettuce
- - Diced tomatoes
- - Sliced black olives
- - Shredded cheese
- - Sour cream
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt for the frybread.
- Slowly add the warm water to the dry ingredients, stirring until a dough forms. Knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the Indian spiced meat. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the skillet and sauté until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the ground meat to the skillet and cook until browned. Break it up with a spatula as it cooks.
- Sprinkle the curry powder, ground cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper over the meat. Stir well to combine all the spices.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the meat mixture simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- While the meat is simmering, divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll each into a ball.
- On a floured surface, flatten each ball into a thin circle, about 1/4 inch thick.
- In a deep skillet or pot, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat for frying the frybread.
- Carefully place the flattened dough into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a small bowl, combine the plain yogurt, chopped cilantro, lime juice, and salt to make the cilantro sauce. Stir well.
- To assemble the Indian Tacos Deluxe, place a frybread on a plate and spoon a generous amount of the Indian spiced meat over it.
- Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, shredded cheese, sour cream, and a drizzle of cilantro sauce.
- Repeat for the remaining frybread and serve hot.
- Enjoy the fusion of flavors in these Indian Tacos Deluxe!
Frybread is a traditional Native American food, often associated with Navajo cuisine.
Indian Tacos have become popular in Native American communities as a modern twist on traditional frybread.
The combination of Indian spices and Mexican-inspired toppings creates a unique flavor profile in this fusion dish.
The crispiness of the frybread adds a delightful texture contrast to the tender Indian spiced meat and toppings.
Feel free to customize the toppings to your preference, adding salsa, guacamole, or any other favorite taco fillings.
This recipe is a perfect example of how food can bring different cultures together and create delicious culinary adventures.