This simple tuna melt recipe is a classic American dish that is quick and easy to prepare. It combines the flavors of tuna, melted cheese, and tangy mayonnaise, all on toasted bread. Perfect for a quick lunch or dinner, this recipe is a tasty and satisfying option. Plus, it only takes a few minutes to make!
- 2 cans of tuna, drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 slices of cheddar or Swiss cheese
- In a mixing bowl, combine the tuna, mayonnaise, celery, red onion, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Spread the tuna mixture evenly on two slices of bread.
- Top each slice with a slice of cheese.
- Place the remaining slices of bread on top to form sandwiches.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and cut the sandwiches in half diagonally.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Tuna melts are a popular classic American comfort food.
The first recorded recipe for a tuna melt appeared in a cookbook in the early 1900s.
The combination of melted cheese, tuna, and bread dates back to the Great Depression when it was a cost-effective meal option.