Enjoy the festive flavors of Grandma Edna's Christmas Cabbage. This hearty and flavorful dish is perfect for holiday gatherings and will leave your guests wanting more. With a rich blend of cabbage, bacon, and spices, this recipe is sure to become a family favorite. It's a classic American recipe that brings comfort and joy to the holiday season.
- 1 medium cabbage, finely chopped
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add the chopped cabbage to the pot and stir to combine with the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, until the cabbage starts to wilt.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and nutmeg. Stir to coat the cabbage evenly with the spices.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, until the cabbage is tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cooked bacon back to the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve hot as a side dish or main course. Enjoy!
Cabbage is a versatile and nutritious vegetable that is often enjoyed during the holiday season.
Bacon adds a smoky and savory flavor to this dish, making it extra delicious.
Grandma Edna's Christmas Cabbage is a recipe that has been passed down through generations in our family, and it's always a hit during the holidays.