Egg in a Hole French Toast Grilled Cheese is a mouthwatering combination of two beloved breakfast dishes. Crispy French toast is stuffed with gooey melted cheese and topped with a perfectly cooked egg. This hearty and satisfying sandwich is the perfect comfort food for breakfast or brunch. With the right amount of sweetness from the French toast and the savory richness of the cheese and egg, this recipe is sure to become a favorite. Plus, it's easy to make and can be customized with your favorite cheese and toppings.
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of cheese (cheddar, American, or your favorite)
- Butter, for frying
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, crispy bacon, sliced tomato
- Using a cookie cutter or a glass, cut a hole in the center of each bread slice. Set aside.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and melt a pat of butter.
- Place two slices of bread in the skillet and crack an egg into the hole of each slice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the eggs start to set, 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the bread slices and crack an egg into the hole of each slice again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each bread slice, covering the hole and egg.
- Top with the remaining slices of bread and press gently to seal the sandwich.
- Cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the skillet and let it cool for a minute before slicing.
- Serve hot and optionally garnish with sliced avocado, crispy bacon, or sliced tomato.