Try this simple and light recipe for escalloped apples that makes for a perfect dessert or side dish. With just a few ingredients, you can create a warm and comforting dish that combines the sweetness of apples with a crunchy topping. This recipe is quick and easy to prepare, making it a great option for busy weeknights or special occasions. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delightful treat that everyone will love.
- 6 cups sliced apples
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss until the apples are coated evenly.
- Transfer the apple mixture to a greased baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and brown sugar. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- If desired, stir in the chopped walnuts or pecans into the topping mixture.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples in the baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve warm, and if desired, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.