These jalapeno popper mashed potatoes are a perfect combination of creamy, cheesy, and spicy flavors. The mashed potatoes are infused with roasted jalapenos, cream cheese, bacon, and cheddar cheese, creating a heavenly side dish that will be a hit at any gathering. Serve them alongside a juicy steak or grilled chicken for a complete meal that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and prick them all over with a fork. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- While the potatoes are baking, roast the jalapeno peppers. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes for a milder flavor. Leave some seeds and membranes if you prefer it spicier. Place the peppers on a baking sheet, skin side up, and broil on high for about 5 minutes or until the skin is charred and blistered. Remove from the oven and let cool. Once cooled, finely chop the roasted jalapeno peppers.
- When the potatoes are done baking, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly. Slice each potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh into a large bowl.
- Add the softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, milk, butter, garlic powder, chopped jalapenos, and half of the crumbled bacon to the bowl with the potato flesh. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Using a potato masher or an electric mixer, mash the potatoes until creamy and well combined. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving dish and garnish with the remaining crumbled bacon and chopped cilantro.
- Serve the jalapeno popper mashed potatoes warm as a side dish with your favorite main course.
Jalapeno poppers are a popular appetizer in American cuisine, usually consisting of jalapeno peppers stuffed with cheese and bacon, then deep-fried or baked.
The addition of cream cheese to these mashed potatoes gives them a velvety smooth texture and adds a tangy flavor to balance the spiciness of the jalapenos.
Roasting the jalapeno peppers helps bring out their natural sweetness and gives them a smoky flavor.