Winter Melon Meatball Soup is a traditional Chinese dish that is both heartwarming and nutritious. Made with winter melon, tender meatballs, and a flavorful broth, this soup is the perfect comfort food for cold winter days. The winter melon adds a slight sweetness to the soup, while the meatballs provide a meaty texture. With a simple preparation and cooking time of only 30 minutes, this recipe is a quick and easy option for a satisfying meal. Enjoy the goodness of this soup and warm yourself up from the inside out.
- 300g winter melon, peeled and cut into chunks
- 250g ground pork
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions and cilantro for garnish
- In a bowl, mix together the ground pork, cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, grated ginger, and minced garlic until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into small meatballs and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth and water to a boil.
- Add the winter melon chunks to the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the melon becomes soft.
- Carefully drop the meatballs into the soup and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped green onions and cilantro.
Winter melon is also known as ash gourd or white gourd.
This soup is commonly served during Chinese New Year as it symbolizes good luck and abundance.
Winter melon is rich in vitamins and minerals, and is believed to have cooling properties in Traditional Chinese Medicine.