This vinegar and egg crust recipe is perfect for making savory pies and tarts. The crust has a unique tangy flavor and a tender texture that complements a variety of fillings. It's simple to make and requires only a few ingredients. Enjoy a delectable homemade pie with this delightful crust!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Add the cold butter to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, combine the white vinegar and beaten egg. Mix well.
- Pour the vinegar and egg mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Shape each portion into a disk and wrap them in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Remove one portion of the dough from the refrigerator. Roll it out on a floured surface into a circle slightly larger than your pie or tart pan.
- Transfer the rolled dough to the pan and press it gently into the bottom and sides. Trim any excess dough.
- If using for a pie, add your desired filling. If using for a tart, blind bake the crust by pricking it with a fork and lining it with parchment paper and weights. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the weights and parchment paper and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Repeat the rolling and baking process for the second portion of dough or save it for another recipe.
- Once the crust(s) is baked and cooled, fill it with your favorite pie or tart filling and enjoy!