Classic Tiramisu is a beloved Italian dessert that combines layers of ladyfingers soaked in coffee, creamy mascarpone filling, and a dusting of cocoa powder. This recipe will guide you through creating a luscious and authentic tiramisu right in your own kitchen. With its perfect balance of flavors and velvety texture, this classic dessert is sure to impress your family and friends. Enjoy the art of dessert-making and savor the taste of this delectable masterpiece.
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup brewed strong coffee, cooled
- 24 ladyfingers
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until well combined and pale yellow in color.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bowl does not touch the water.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and continue cooking until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream and vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold in the mascarpone cheese until well combined.
- Once the egg mixture has cooled, fold it into the whipped cream mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cooled coffee into a shallow dish. Dip each ladyfinger into the coffee, allowing them to soak for a few seconds on each side.
- Arrange a layer of soaked ladyfingers in the bottom of a rectangular serving dish.
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers, ensuring an even layer.
- Repeat the process with another layer of soaked ladyfingers and remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Before serving, sift the cocoa powder over the top of the tiramisu as a decorative dusting.
- Slice and serve the classic tiramisu chilled for a truly indulgent experience.