Indulge in the ultimate comfort food with this incredibly tasty slow cooker sweet potatoes, yams, and marshmallows recipe. This classic dish combines the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes and yams with the creamy and gooey marshmallows on top. Made effortlessly in the slow cooker, it's the perfect side dish for holidays, family gatherings, or any cozy weeknight dinner. Prepare to be amazed by the melt-in-your-mouth texture and irresistible flavors that will have everyone coming back for more. Get ready to enjoy a truly delectable and heartwarming dish!
- 4 large sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Wash the sweet potatoes or yams well and pat dry.
- Pierce the skin of each sweet potato or yam several times with a fork.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to create a flavorful glaze.
- Place the sweet potatoes or yams in the slow cooker and pour the glaze over them, making sure they are coated evenly.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours, or until the sweet potatoes or yams are tender and easily pierced with a knife.
- Once cooked, remove the sweet potatoes or yams from the slow cooker and allow them to cool slightly.
- Preheat the broiler in your oven.
- Carefully peel the skin off the sweet potatoes or yams and slice them into thick rounds.
- Arrange the sweet potato or yam rounds in a baking dish in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the mini marshmallows evenly over the sweet potato or yam rounds.
- Place the baking dish under the broiler for a few minutes, or until the marshmallows are golden brown and slightly melted.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the slow cooker sweet potatoes, yams, and marshmallows as a delightful side dish that will impress everyone!
Sweet potatoes and yams are often confused, but they are actually different root vegetables. Sweet potatoes have a softer texture and sweeter taste, while yams have a firmer texture and less sweetness.
Marshmallows were originally made from the mallow plant's sap. Nowadays, most marshmallows are made using gelatin, sugar, and corn syrup.
Using a slow cooker for this recipe allows the sweet potatoes or yams to cook slowly and evenly, enhancing their natural flavors and creating a tender and creamy texture.