Warm up with a comforting bowl of Chicken Arroz Caldo, a Filipino-style chicken rice porridge. Made with tender chicken, ginger, garlic, and rice, this dish is hearty and flavorful. It is perfect for a cozy dinner or as a nutritious meal option. This recipe provides step-by-step instructions on how to make this traditional Filipino dish that will surely satisfy your taste buds.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 lb bone-in chicken thighs, cut into serving pieces
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the minced ginger, garlic, and chopped onion. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pot and cook until browned on all sides.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add the rinsed rice to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Cover the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked and the chicken is tender and cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Season the dish with fish sauce and ground black pepper. Adjust the seasoning according to taste.
- Serve the Chicken Arroz Caldo in individual bowls. Top each bowl with a halved hard-boiled egg and a sprinkle of chopped green onions. Serve with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over the porridge.
- Enjoy the warm and comforting Chicken Arroz Caldo!