Learn how to make the perfect sugar cookies from scratch with this easy and foolproof recipe. These classic sugar cookies are buttery, soft, and melt in your mouth. They are perfect for any occasion, whether it's Christmas, birthdays, or just a sweet treat for yourself or your loved ones. Get ready to enjoy the best sugar cookies you've ever tasted!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup colored sugar or sprinkles, for decorating (optional)
- In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and shape each portion into a disk. Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of the dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
- If desired, sprinkle colored sugar or sprinkles on top of the cookies for decoration.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat the rolling, cutting, and baking process with the remaining dough portion.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, you can frost them with your favorite icing or enjoy them as is. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.