Indulge in the irresistible goodness of homemade pecan candy. This classic American treat combines crunchy pecans with a rich and buttery caramel coating. With just a few ingredients and simple steps, you can create a delectable candy that will impress your friends and family. Whether it's for a holiday gathering or a special gift, this pecan candy recipe is sure to sweeten any occasion.
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and spread the pecans evenly on a baking sheet. Toast them for about 8-10 minutes until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper. Make sure the paper extends above the edges for easy removal later.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, heavy cream, and salt. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches a temperature of 235°F (113°C) on a candy thermometer. This should take about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Let the mixture cool for 2 minutes.
- Add the toasted pecans to the saucepan and stir until they are evenly coated with the caramel mixture.
- Pour the pecan candy mixture into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly with a spatula.
- Allow the candy to cool at room temperature until firm, which usually takes about 2-3 hours.
- Once the candy is completely cooled and firm, lift it out of the baking dish using the parchment paper as handles. Place it on a cutting board and slice it into small squares or rectangles.
- Store the pecan candy in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.